Look for Stuff!!

Dec 9, 2025

Pre Production (Behind the Fire Wall Documentary - 2/5)

I don't know how to start this one. Hello reader.


Planning

The EQ (Essential Question):
First thing I did was decide on a question. This would be a refence for the rest of the documentary, every creative choice Emi and I made should somehow serve the question (or the answer to the question).
(Our question)
The Outline:
I spent so much time on the outline because I really, really wanted the context of this documentary to be rich. So I spent a lot of time outlining what information should be presented, in what order, and how. You'll notice that at the top o
(Emi and my outline)

The Interview Questions:
Emi mainly worked on the interview questions, with some of my help. I then emailed teachers and messaged students asking if we could interview them. We decided a time with those who responded with their approval and I added the times to my calendar. Emi and I also made a film schedule so we can don't miss a moment by accident.


Research: 
Okay don't kill me. I didn't do much research for this the background of this documentary. I just read a few Wikipedia articles and created the script off that. Thinking back, I should've done way more research. A background context on a few of the laws that censor access to resources would've been really nice. For the entire documentary theses laws are mentioned but not named, and I understand how that reduces credibility. 

I knew that I could depend on the teacher's providing the context, that I actually didn't need to know much, and so I took the easy way out. But I see how that's bad. And when I re-edit and fix this documentary (soon, when I have the time, prob winter break) I will include more context and do more research! As for now, lets accept my bare minimum because midterms are coming up.

Script:
The red highlight was things we considered cutting out if we ran out of time, the green highlight are things I knew I wanted Emi to draw out for b-roll. I wrote this out while I was researching. I know, I know, dear reader, but a man's got to do what a man's got to do. 

(Script for the introduction)


(script for the closing scene)


Brand:
Okay, arguably the most entertaining part of the documentary. Emi and I wanted to play on the whole "burned books" thing, so our graphics where very paper focused. The title card was made in Canva by Emi, i would've brought out After Effects, but I didn't want to make a full blown graphic under such a time crunch. All I did to the graphic was add that paper texture over it to make it more appealing and match the brand better. As for Emi's drawing's for b-roll, she drew those out on paper and I animated it in After Effects with a displacement layer. I was fine using AE here because it was very light work, meanwhile the graphic would take much longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment