Look for Stuff!!

Feb 26, 2026

Color- Researching (Portfolio Project Post 5)

Gulity pleasure? Watching wholesome movies about queer people. I mean, it's not a bad thing that I enjoy queer films. I'd actually be quite concerned if I hated them.

Pinterest (2026)

 Mrs. McCutcheon

 (Stream Short Films, 2025)

This one made me cry I loved it, like wow. I have issues. 

It's obvious though the last scene that the final message of the films is about how queer people have existed and will continue to exist until humanity goes extinct. Anyone against that can cross their arms watch from the sidelines while we enjoy ourselves. I love how the film surrounds children (casting for a film with so many kids must have been a nightmare), since it represents just how pure self expression and love is. As a trans man, I find that I have a very deep connection with my inner child for this reason. When I express myself-- due to the nature of my conflicting yet innate existence-- I tune into this childish fearlessness within myself. It gives me the space to remove learnt adult expectations of conformity, it makes me apathetic to peoples judgement. 

The vibrant reds and pinks in this final scene, I think, is to reenforce the message of authenticity and love. For example, when Trevor and Mrs. McCutcheon are outside the party, the walls are red, so is Trevor's suit and the balloons around them. This bold, dramatic coloring reflects what Trevor said to Mrs. McCutcheon, to express herself no matter what others think.

 (Stream Short Films, 2025)

The beginning of the film is very colorful, which I like because it reminds me of Cocomelon. Hear me out. A lot of kids entertainment, including toys and spaces made for children, is colorful. I'm pretty sure it's to engage the children in the content and what's being shown. Take, for example, this shot of the creepy Cocomelon baby sliding down a bright red slide and compare it to this shot of the teacher's bright green sweater. The saturation is being pumped up like jam is to simulate this kind of content-- adding to the nostalgic, childish feel of the film (TechnotronicVEVO, 2010).  


Sew Into You


(Emma Josephson, 2025)

Another one. Except this one is focused on an elderly woman who's attempting to flirt with another woman for the first time. While establishing the dynamic between our protagonist and her coworker, there's a contrast between the color of two scenes. 

This one has a warm tint to it. As it focuses on the coworker flirting, our protagonist watches from the back. It's here that the viewer understand the tint is meant to represent our protagonist's hope that she can be as good at fliting as her coworker. 



This is in contrast with the following scene, which is a colder tint and demonstrates the woman's relationship with her coworker. It's rigid, cold, and apathetic. However, as they get to know each other, the tint changes back to warm.



CITES:

(2026). Pinterest. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/746190232050272230/

‌Stream Short Films. (2025, July 11). Mrs. McCutcheon | Drama Family LGBTQ | Free Short Film 🎬. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpMgJyIBU1I

TechnotronicVEVO. (2010). Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam (Official Video) [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcjWd-O4jI 

Cocomelon - Nursery Rhymes. (2025, July 22). High Five Song! JJ’s Summer Waterpark Splash! 🌊 | CoComelon Nursery Rhymes & Kids Songs. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_J-X4asck ‌

Emma Josephson. (2025, May 28). Sew Into You | a queer short film. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8blp8zs_w ‌

No comments:

Post a Comment