Look for Stuff!!

Mar 20, 2026

Social Media and Epic Colours (Portfolio Project Post #14)

Colour time! It's time for Colour! Uhhh did you knooowww that because North American culture is a combination of so many other culture's, we began to write "color" instead of "colour" for simplicity (John, 2019)?

 While we are on the subject, did you know that British people used to have an accent very similar to current American accents? After the industrial revolution, the new money wanted to demonstrate their wealth, and created an early version of the British accent (Ryan, 2023).

We have a similar accent in the U.S. too, but I'm pretty sure its for the old money, and we call it posh. But don't quote me on that because I don't really know.

SOCIAL MEDIA

Vicky and Kenna are working on this mainly. But I'll update you anyways because I'm just so responsible and mature like that. 

We had a very, very long phone call to debrief and finish all the things we had pending for the film. I had to leave because my family was having dinner, so I wasn't there when they discused social media. But, here's a list Kenna wrote down about their plan. I suggest that we should post a lot of reels, since our target audience is teenagers and young adults.




SYMBOLISM!

We decided on what the plant signifies within our story, and by that, I mean we agreed to keep what we originally came up with. The plant (which we renamed from "Tom" to "Sprout") signifies the growth of the characters within the story. Therefor we stay with the same intention we started at when we first discussed the idea-- to represent the peaceful understanding that comes with stepping back and looking at ones progress. 

We, as teenagers, live our day to day with a myopic lens, only worrying about the current moment. In our inexperience with the world, it's easy to feel as if our life is a personal hell. But, that simply isn't the case. The majority of us are well fed, have access to good education, and someone to support us emotionally. It's a privilege to have things expected of you, though I'll admit that academic pressure is a huge stress. But, our decisions during stressful moments are what shape us into adults. I wrote the short story as a reassurance to myself and others that everything will be okay-- that growing pains are a part of adolescence. 

That's my interpretation of the story at least. I haven't read my friend's blogs, but I assume it's more or less the same. That is what the green is meant to signify. It isn't just Sprout The Plant, it's emotional growth. After all, this is a coming of age story.

I mentioned during our one hour call with my groupmates that we should have green engulf the characters in the promotional content we make. I don't know if they'll take me up on that suggestion, but I do want our color palette to be very green.


To contrast all this green, I suggested that Dahlia's color should be lavender. Since, they are green and purple are opposite colors on the color wheel, it'd be visually appealing. Also, the choice of a lighter purple, instead of a full purple is to mimic Dahlia's personality. I don't think I mentioned this yet, but Kenna and I talked about changing the vibrancy of Dahlia's colors as she changes throughout the film. So, at the start, she hasn't grown into herself as much, and she wears lighter purple. But, at the end, she fully has, so she wears deeper, more vibrant purples.


As for Melia, we chose pink. In the Canva we made, she's down as a light pink. But, I think it should be a brighter pink since she's a lot bolder than Dahlia. It'd make more sense to keep the symbolism that way.


CITES

John, M. (2019, October 21). Where did the American accent come from? WorldAtlas. https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/where-did-the-american-accent-come-from.html

Ryan, E. (2023, May 23). Color vs. colour: Meaning, spelling & example sentences. Scribbr. https://www.scribbr.com/us-vs-uk/color-vs-colour/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment