Hi Glorp! My friend just got a really good opportunity— one I used to want, but realized I wouldn't enjoy. And I got upset because seeing her made me wonder "why not me"? But, I know that opportunity wouldn't suit me, and I know I can help people a lot better when I do it my way. So, in honor of my realization, here's two memes. Which is more memes than one.
(Achievers Club, n.d.)
(Torp, n.d.)
The Moon and Me (Animated Short Film)
This Instagram is promoting an animated short film which is still in progress. Thus, most posts are about the animation process of the production. For example, there are different posts for different phases of the animation, like the character design and the first pass. The first few posts are of movie posters, art made by the crew, and animation tests. I'm assuming this was posted in pre-production.
The first page of most of the Instagram posts are of a colored animation or drawing, which has consistent coloring and imagery. This is what builds most of their branding. In the description, the page also uses a sparkle emoji often. I assumed this to be a symbol for the film since its repeated often enough for it to be considered a part of the Instagram brand.
I liked how they showed the "behind the scenes" for the animation. It felt like I was seeing something I normally wouldn't be able to, and I think it allows the audience to see the development of the movie far better than without the posts. I'm doing a regular short film, so I wont have the animations to mimic this technique, but I still want something to show how our work is going along. Maybe I can post a story board or photos of our set.
Also, I liked the consistent use of one emoji in the description of a post. It reminds me of fandoms who use things to symbolize characters, like how different characters from Stranger Things having colors assigned to them. It's easy to memorize and spreads quickly, making it very effective for marketing and branding.
Sudden Death (Short Film)
All posts are advertising the film, not so people watch it, but so people join the crew. This page has a lot of posts, but most of them are asking people to support the film. There was a "meet the production team" post, but it's very wordy and the design is bad.
The posts are targeted towards Gen Z, noticeable through the grammar and phrasing as well as the memes used to market the film. It feels forced, especially since they often write "hello gamers!" and overuse the hamster emoji meme. This is ment to target Gen Z, but feels jarring, especially compared to their other posts.
The "meet the production team" post has the same style of post as a few others, which is meant to build a brand. However, it;s inconsistent, so the "branding" feels more like the marketing team forget they have to follow a brand.
I think this is an example of what not to do. As I mentioned, the "meet the production team" post was wordy and badly designed, which makes the post less engaging.I do like how they try to target Gen Z with memes and videos that feel more personal (like filming inside a car and having comedic graphics on screen.) I do want to mimic that.
(@sudden_death_shortfilm, n.d.)
Stick Bug (Short Film)
There are several posts about the film's achievements, like what film festivals they premiered in and what they won. They also have "behind the scenes" videos and post, which do a good job to engage the audience.
There was also a post about an article page, but it was the last image on the post. Two other photos before this article are meant to be a representation of the film's brand. Thus developing a consistent tone throughout the Instagram. Following this, when visiting film festivals, the director posts "vibe" photos. These don't hold much significance to the story or the film festival, but to maintain a consistent aesthetic throughout the page.
Also, I've noticed several conventions used by all the pages I'm looking at. To list a few, they all credit the people who created the film in the caption. The all have a "meet the producers" type post, whether its a video or just images. And they all have ways to have the audience interact, whether its by seeming more down to earth (or relatable), or by creating polls or having open DMs.
No comments:
Post a Comment