Look for Stuff!!

Mar 4, 2026

Writing oh no oh god (Portfolio Project Post #8)

 Hi Glorp! I'm cozy. I have that post-workout cold-shower coziness. It's nice.

(simo 🍃☁️, n.d.)

I wrote the entire script. And, wow, wow, I think I loved it? There was definitely some kind of flow state happening, but I think I just cared too much about the results to let myself create freely. I felt like a tiny god, I can make my characters do ANYTHING and then I can get actors and simulate an event that only exists in my brain. This is cool. I take everything back, I love writing.

But, I'm still not good at it. I had my friends look at it and comment on my work. The main things I noticed I need to improve are:

  • my dialogue writing is still awkward, I think I'm having a hard time transitioning from one topic to another
  • My conclusion isn't impactful enough, which might just mean I need to rewrite some scenes to make them more significant to the story
  • Some plot points don't make sense. I haven't thought about their significance fully, which is why, a lot of things fall flat in the story.

I then went on a call with Vicky and Kenna and we talked about the script, changing things as we saw fit. We rewrote a lot of the dialogue since one of our biggest issues was that the conflict in the story sort of popped out from nowhere, which made the conclusion feel anticlimactic. This was changed through developing the characters further, and giving them a reason to fight at the beginning of the story, which is later developed all the way until the climax.


I want the ending to be impactful, and I think this rewrite is definetlt leading us there. For example, lets compare the last scene in the first draft to the last scene in our second rough draft. 

(First rough draft)

In here, all the protagonist (which is what "P" stands for in this script) does is repot her plant and apologize. This doesn't show much growth since shes still being non-confrontational with her actions. Thus, the symbolism behind the plant and it's pot doesn't have as much of an impact as I wanted it to.

(Second rough draft)

Compare that to the rewritten scene, where Dahlia (the protagonist) and Melia (her friend) have a conversation. Demonstrating how the interactions between the two characters has changed allows me to show how both of them have grown since their fight. And also, I get to have Melia say "everyone's just growing up", which I think is a really wholesome line that wraps the whole story into a neat little bow. 

Also, showing how both characters made up in the end give the story this very peaceful "everything will be okay" vibe to the script-- which to me is very comforting. It reminds me of when my teacher told me "your a teenager, your supposed to be confused." Because- right, I am still a kid. No one my age should have it all figured out. I like how well this last scene portrays that same message. 


(Brix❄️🦇, n.d.)

Wow, writing is hard. Props to all my writers out there, they gotta be my favorite genders, for real. 

CITES (in order of appearance)
simo 🍃☁️ [@augustevermore]. (n.d.). Hopeful memes [Image pin]. Pinterest. Retrieved March 8, 2026, from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/619948704982696540/

[Author unknown]. (n.d.). [Title unknown] [Image pin]. Pinterest. Retrieved March 8, 2026, from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/746190232050558697/


No comments:

Post a Comment